BEGA-US prides itself on stewardship of the environment and commitment to sustainability. This commitment permeates throughout the products we offer as well as to our manufacturing and office facilities.
It all starts with our Sustainable Philosophy. The goal is twofold: first, provide products that will last the lifetime of the building or premises, eliminating the need for wasteful replacement; and second, embrace manufacturing and office processes which decrease waste and redundancy, thereby reducing our carbon footprint.
Our mission is to manufacture and sell our products while limiting our impact on the environment.
- BEGA is manufactured from long-life recyclable materials including aluminum, stainless steel, and glass. Depending on the product, our aluminum post-consumer recycled content varies from 15% to 40%.
- Our manufacturing process conforms to the RoHS Directive. This means we eliminated the substances banned under RoHS: lead (Pb), mercury (Hg), cadmium (Cd), hexavalent chromium (CrVI), polybrominated biphenyls (PBB) and polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDE). The majority of our products are finished in durable powder coat paint, limiting waste associated with liquid paints. Our painting process is TGIC free.
- Packing materials are recyclable, including cardboard, water soluble packing peanuts, plastic wrapping, and wooden pallets.
- Scrap materials generated in our production/office processes are recycled; including aluminum, steel, glass, plastic, electronics
cardboard, and paper.
- Hazardous materials generated by our manufacturing processes are controlled and then disposed/recycled per federal, state, and local requirements. Other waste is considered “Universal Waste” by the California Department of Toxic Substances Control. Batteries and electronics are recycled. We encourage employees to use the company recycle bins for their used consumer electronics and batteries as well.
- To realize the goal of achieving a truly paperless office, we have employed two systems for electronic paper handling and filing. An electronic filing system, receives, routes and files incoming and outgoing email and faxes. Paper files are no longer maintained in the Sales department. Our computerized order management and inventory control system helps reduce the need for paper as well. This system is anchored with a hand-held scanner that tracks receiving and storage of components and finished inventory.
- Lighting is controlled through our energy management system. This includes periodic turn off sweeps of unoccupied areas, motion sensors for smaller spaces, minimal security lighting, with an astronomical clock to ensure reduced consumption during off hours and holidays. .
- Additionally, HVAC equipment is uniquely designed using Enhanced Refrigerant Management through a Variable Refrigerant Flow (VRF) system. This increases efficiency and reduces the need for additional compressors. All HVAC systems are monitored by computer and automatically shut down during non-business hours.
- Water meters on the property are closely monitored and controlled by a water management system to prevent false starts and ensure shut-down during inclement weather. Run-off and rain water ae diverted to our on-site containment system. This system is 15’ underground and allows the water to naturally seep back into the aquifer. Low-flow lavatories, and tank-less water-heaters help conserve water as well.
- We also endeavor to preserve the agricultural heritage of the land. We continue to nurture 60-year-old avocado trees; with the addition of citrus, herbs and vegetables plantings. We do this as a way to celebrate and pay homage to the historical significance of this property.
- In addition to being a good steward of the land and resources; we want to be a good neighbor, maintaining our roots in this local community. To that end, community out-reach remains a priority. Since 2002 we have been a proud and active partner with Path-Point. This organization facilitates employment and housing for the developmentally disabled. We currently have six participants regularly employed here working 3-days a week, 9am-2pm. These individuals are part of the BEGA family and are paid prevailing wages for the projects on which they work.
- We also open our doors to the Carpinteria Education Foundation. In addition to providing direct funding for our local schools, we host their annual Carp-A-Cabana event (the foundation’s annual fundraiser and auction, benefiting the local school district), on the BEGA campus. Additionally, we continue to support other worthwhile local organizations such as the Boys & Girls Club, Girls Inc., and the First Tee Charity with direct funding.
- We also make our facility available to the local fire department for training and regular CERT classes. And finally, we are proud to make donations of what we do best; luminaires. We work directly with local agencies on their unique needs. Examples include the Santa Barbara Courthouse, the Museum of Natural History and Santa Barbara’s Bohnett Park, to name a few.
- Being a good-neighbor to the community and the earth is at the heart of what we do.